Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Grounding wire from panel to gas pipe???

In article , Bud-- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Bud--

wrote:

Assume underground metal water service pipe (10ft...) and a ground rod.

Your original statement was:

Metal water piping is bonded to the electrical system grounding
electrodes to ensure that the metal water piping cannot become live,
*not* to provide a ground for the electrical system

Yep. And that's correct.

The water pipe -- by itself -- is not permitted by Code to be used to ground
the electrical system, and hasn't been for many years.

2005 NEC 250.50 "All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1)
through (A)(6) shall be bonded together to to form the grounding
electrode system."

250.52(A)(1) "Metal Underground Water Pipe. A metal underground water
pipe indirect contact with the earth for 3.0 m (10 ft) or more...."

100(1) [definitions] "Grounding Electrode. A device that establishes an
electrical connection to the earth."

If you are having trouble intrepreting: All grounding electrodes
including Metal Underground Water Pipe shall be bonded together to to
form the grounding electrode system that establishes an electrical
connection to the earth.

What do you think it means?

Can you read?

You're the one who has trouble reading, not me. I never said that metal water
pipes shouldn't be part of the grounding electrode system -- I said that metal
water pipes are not permitted to be the *only* grounding electrode, and that's
a fact.

It's also a fact that the reason for bonding metal water pipes to the other
grounding electrode(s) is to ensure that the plumbing cannot ever become live,
no matter what might go wrong with the electrical system.

Sorry you're having such a hard time understanding.

--
Regards,