Roy J

Default Leasing industrial space for hobby use

Just for calibration purposes:

For another project I checked with a local real estate guy on
warehouse space. valid for the Minnneapolis area:

Standard office warehouse space in the suburbs, off in some
industrial park, you've seen them, tiny reception area, larger
office, smaller office, store room, 30' wide, 90' deep, Loading
dock in back, 4" floors, 220 power but not 3 phase. $4 a square
foot per YEAR for the warehouse space, $10 a square foot per year
for the office, figure $6 per foot blended. 2700 feet would be
around $16000/year or $1350 per month. I've seen small
distributors, woodworking shops, machine shops, fabricators,
assemblers, etc in these spaces.

Another outfit subdivides this into smaller spaces. Price would
still be in the $6 range. 800 feet would be $400 a month, not
horrible for a newer building in a place where you can park your
car outside and still have wheels on it when you get done inside.

AL wrote:
Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use? My little one-car
garage just doesn't cut it anymore. Do the leasing companies only deal with
business entities? Has anyone done this before? Any pitfalls? I know
insurance might be difficult to obtain, but I'm not sure about anything
else.