Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz Fitz is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

Lobster wrote:

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, eg here we can't
recycle any food waste

What happens to our old dustbins?

drill lots of drainage holes in the bottom (or create an airspace and
fit a tap if you're feeling really excited) then add an expanded lump
of coir and about 250g of compost worms. Then you can dispose of
uncooked, vegetable kitchen waste. It will also benefit from a small
amount of shredded paper and cardboard.

Provided you don't let things rot anaerobically before putting them in
(guilty yerronor - the smell was unholy) there should be virtually no
odour. Make sure you keep water out and that the thing drains properly
otherwise you will drown then worms (also guilty yerronor - still the
resultant mucky mess made our beans grow a treat!)

--
Steve F