Glenn Ashmore

Default Leasing industrial space for hobby use

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:28:13 -0500, the renowned Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Speaking as a landlord who rents industrial space, I don't care if you
are commercial or hobby as long as you can demonstrate to me that you
can pay the rent over the lease term, will actually occupy and regularly
use the space so I can worry less about vandals, not damage the property
and not do something to get the EPA or the DEA down on me.

For sure I would rather have a hobby machinist that that guy who just
went belly up leaving me with a $50K clean up of solvents and other yet
to be identified chemicals dumped in back of the building.

IME *industrial* rents are quoted triple-net (net-net-net), and the
costs on top (including RE taxes, utilities, etc.) can be a bit of a
surprise to the hapless tenant. You may get more stuff included if the
area is sublet or very small.

That is true when you talk about more than a couple thousand square feet
bit there is usually a lot of space in the range suitable for small
shops rented on a gross rent basis. You do need to know exactly who is
responsible for what on commmercial space. It is not the same as
renting an apartment. As Spehro says, some leases make the tenant
responsible for everything including fire insurance and taxes. Others
the landlord pays taxes, insurance on the structure, maintains the roof
and the hot water heater. Tenant pays all the other expenses. Still
others, everything but janitorial srevice is included. There are all
sorts of combinations.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com