Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Retief wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:21:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

COULD you butcher a hog, if you
really needed to?
Yes, BUT, because I can, I've got sense enough to let somebody else
do it.

No, you charge a fair bit to do the butchering operation, and hire a
"grunt" to do the hard parts (i.e. you supervise). The hog owner
get's his hog butchered correctly, your assistant gets food (a piece
of the action), and you get a big hunk of hog.

And everyone is happy and well fed...

Retief

How do you incorrectly butcher a hog?

I would assume if you intended to eat it. Pork is Unclean, read your
Old Testament. If things broke down to the point where most people had
to butcher their own meat, Pork would be last choice. Proper
refrigeration and parasite control would certainly be long gone.

I'll stick with being able to butcher deer, beef, rabbit, and fowl.