Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Don't know where you live but I've never heard of that anywhere.

If it interests you, start checking around.

Most vehicles take 4 quarts. Cost for those and a filter about 12
bucks on sale. Cost at the quick change places about $25. There are
no corner gas stations that change oil around here.

Even my little Tonka Toy truck uses 6 qts with a filter change.

Must be a very small vehicle.

Around here, $15 gets an oil & filter change when they run a sale, but
haven't checked since crude hit $75/bbl.

Special tools? I maintain four vehicles in my family and the only
tools needed are a plug socket, extension, swivel and a rachet.

You obviously never worked on Volkswagons, especially the diesel ones,
the little buggers damn near require a special tool to pop the hood.

My four vehicles currently average 140K. I do almost all the work on
them.

It is obviously a labor of love.

However, in the spirit of the original post, my sons do very little,
and I don't know why they never took to it.

They are obviously smart enough to have found what they consider more
productive ways to spend their free time than being a weekend grease
monkey.

Give them credit.

Everybody adopts what works for them.

Today, I'd rather make sawdust than spend time trying to get the
grease out from my fingernails (even with gloves) after trying to mess
with a vehicle.

Lew