Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Trevor Jones wrote:

It is in fact not only possible, but pretty easy to do. A simple

set of
hand tools and a Haynes or Chilton manual for your vehicle, and you or
anyone else is quite capable of changing the oil, belts, or various
electrical components like starters or alternators, at home or on the
roadside.

snip

Totally impractical to try to work on an automobile today.

If you live in an urban area, many places do not permit working on a
car, especially outside, even on your own property, much less a rental
unit.

Want to change your oil?

6 qts of oil, an air and oil filter costs as much or more than paying
for that same service down at the corner gas station, in this area at
least, never mind the used oil disposal process and cost.

Sort of makes changing your own oil a non productive process.

Want to change the coolant every couple of years?

Again you face a toxic waste disposal problem which does not include
being able to pour used coolant into the sewer.

The plugs on my vehicle are good for 100,000 miles and require special
tools to change. Think I'll pass on that one.

Most people don't keep a vehicle 100,000 miles like I do so they don't
even have to think about changing plugs and wires.

Matter of fact, most of today's vehicles have a pretty good track
record for the first 75,000 miles.

Trying to do your own auto repairs today is a lose-lose proposition, IMHO.

Now you want to talk about diesel engine maintenance on a sail boat,
that's another matterG.

Lew