Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

F. George McDuffee wrote:

With the
imposition of "Academic Trivial Pursuit" AKA "no child left
behind," what was imposed was instruction in the skills necessary
to score well on standardized objective tests [bingo cards] and
short-term rote memorization and rapid recall of "factoids."

This is yet another example, where a critical public asset or
facility, in this case free compulsory education, has been
hi-jacked by the elite so they can impose their ideology and skim
the benefits (i.e. college preparatory education) while the vast
majority is deprived of the benefits (i.e. preparation for life
rather than for yet more education) although the majority is
expected to keep paying [more] for it.

The cure for this is local action, where the voters (parents)
fire the existing school board, and where the new school board
then fires the existing superintendents and principals, and so
on.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

I agree with most of what you said. I do think that we need some
method of measuring the effectiveness of schools. So we do need
standard objective tests. And we do need to teach a certain amount of
" factoids " as well as principles. Knowing a certain amount of facts
allows one to concentrate on the larger problem. I would hate to go
thru life having to look up the value of Pi when I need to know the
area of a circle or go find a calculator. But we also need to teach
understanding what accuracy is needed when using Pi.

The current tests may not be what is needed. But one needs to be able
to put numbers on things in order to optimize. Sure more teachers are
good, but what is the most cost effective number of kids in a class?
And does it vary by age. Does it vary by the subject being taught. In
high school the class size is about 30 to 35. But suddenly in college
the class size might be 300 to 400.

And I think we need more competition in schools. The existing school
board may or may not need to be fired. But there needs to be more
charter schools and vouchers for private schools so students have
choices. We need schools that prepare students for college as well as
schools that prepare students for living without a college degree.
Without competition the public schools are going to go for the one size
fits all. It is a lot easier to administrate.

Dan