Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Oil to Natural Gas Conversion Costs

wrote:
George wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

The problems with gas is you get locked into a monopoly that charges you
even when you aren't using the product,

Explain how big oil isn't a monopopy. They are all in lock step with
each other. Most people who use gas tend to use it for hot water,
cooking and clothes drying so you tend to use it year round.

Actually, the major oil companies are clearly not monopolies. A
monopoly requires one single supplier.

Agree, maybe I should have said "monopolistic behavior". But they are
all joined at the waist. My buddy works in an energy commodity business
and says behind the scenes they are all in lock step with each other
just as we see at the gas stations where "something may possibly happen
somewhere" and they all raise their prices.

In the case of the major oil
companies, you have at least five. OPEC, a key component of the
equation is an oligopoly. But clearly this whole argument against nat
gas heat is all based on emotion, rather than fact.
The price of
heating oil varies. The price of nat gas varies. Over the past, in my
experience, they have been similar enough in their total cost that it's
not a major difference.

Exactly, there are pros and cons and it is typicallu a wash.