Posted to alt.home.repair
FE FE is offline

Default Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice!

"Willshak" wrote in message
FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position.

It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

1. Check to see if an ice cube made its way onto the switch bar
mechanism and is preventing the bar from closing the switch.
2. Pull the unit out and defrost it. It could be frost in the switch
mechanism.
3. Call the repair guy.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thank you all for replying. The "stop the ice" metal bar actually goes into
an encased plastic body -- I don't see any type of switch where the bar
enters the body.

I am going to try the suggestion to "defrost" the unit to see if there is
anything inside the plastic body/module that is frozen and therefore keeping
the metal arm from doing its job.

There are electrical-looking cords connected to the icemaker body. I gently
tugged on them to see if I could get them out, but they don't budge (I
didn't want to break them). Is there a trick to getting these cords out so
I can "defrost" the module?

Thanks again!