Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Default Fitting gallows bracket under chimney breast

Richard Grounddiver wrote:
How do you support the brickwork above where you intend to install the
bracket, at the moment it is sat on a large timber across two joists in
the loft, am i going to do more harm than good, trying to install such
a bracket.
It has been stable for 20 years is that the way chimney breasts were
supported years ago ?

Im just trying to get a feel for what i need to do should the buyers
surveyor point it out as an issue.

Mine are bolted to the wall by two half inch dia raw bolts. There is
then a small lintel across the front resting on each bracket. They
would probabley hold up a battleship but I bet if ever I come to sell
they wont be good enough. Mine were also done under local council
inspection so I guess that I have that on my side. They have been up
over 20 years.

Kevin