Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting gallows bracket under chimney breast

How do you support the brickwork above where you intend to install the
bracket, at the moment it is sat on a large timber across two joists in
the loft, am i going to do more harm than good, trying to install such
a bracket.
It has been stable for 20 years is that the way chimney breasts were
supported years ago ?

Im just trying to get a feel for what i need to do should the buyers
surveyor point it out as an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Richard Grounddiver wrote:
How do you support the brickwork above where you intend to install the
bracket, at the moment it is sat on a large timber across two joists in
the loft, am i going to do more harm than good, trying to install such
a bracket.
It has been stable for 20 years is that the way chimney breasts were
supported years ago ?

Im just trying to get a feel for what i need to do should the buyers
surveyor point it out as an issue.

Mine are bolted to the wall by two half inch dia raw bolts. There is
then a small lintel across the front resting on each bracket. They
would probabley hold up a battleship but I bet if ever I come to sell
they wont be good enough. Mine were also done under local council
inspection so I guess that I have that on my side. They have been up
over 20 years.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:
Richard Grounddiver wrote:
How do you support the brickwork above where you intend to install the
bracket, at the moment it is sat on a large timber across two joists in
the loft, am i going to do more harm than good, trying to install such
a bracket.
It has been stable for 20 years is that the way chimney breasts were
supported years ago ?

Im just trying to get a feel for what i need to do should the buyers
surveyor point it out as an issue.

Mine are bolted to the wall by two half inch dia raw bolts. There is
then a small lintel across the front resting on each bracket. They
would probabley hold up a battleship but I bet if ever I come to sell
they wont be good enough. Mine were also done under local council
inspection so I guess that I have that on my side. They have been up
over 20 years.

Kevin

I probably should have worded it better, i mean how are the bricks
supported while you get the bracket in place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug 2006 03:26:09 -0700, Kev wrote:

Mine are bolted to the wall by two half inch dia raw bolts. There is
then a small lintel across the front resting on each bracket. They
would probabley hold up a battleship but I bet if ever I come to sell
they wont be good enough. Mine were also done under local council
inspection so I guess that I have that on my side. They have been up
over 20 years.

The flat I sold at the end of last year a had a structural roof survey done
at the request of the buyer, they said this setup wasn't strong enough and
needed a steel plate also inserted covering the entire lower surface, I
think it said 5mm. I seem to remember the reason was to stop mortar
dropping from between the bricks. (huh?)

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Richard Grounddiver wrote:

I probably should have worded it better, i mean how are the bricks
supported while you get the bracket in place?

Well my chimney just sat there unsupported while the brackets were
fitted, not by me a hasten to add. I suppose if you were at all worried
you could fit a much wider lintel which was propped in some way while
you knocked ot the remaining brickwork then fitted the brackets.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Kev" writes:

Richard Grounddiver wrote:

I probably should have worded it better, i mean how are the bricks
supported while you get the bracket in place?

Well my chimney just sat there unsupported while the brackets were
fitted, not by me a hasten to add. I suppose if you were at all worried
you could fit a much wider lintel which was propped in some way while
you knocked ot the remaining brickwork then fitted the brackets.

Probably a bad idea to be using a large SDS drill to drill any
holes in the wall whilst it's unsupported though ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Unsupported chimney breast! Andy Dingley UK diy 56 April 25th 06 09:40 PM
Chimney breast question nafuk UK diy 1 April 15th 05 01:23 PM
Removing chimney breast... Owain UK diy 8 August 29th 04 02:14 AM
Fireplace fitting queries BigWallop UK diy 1 May 24th 04 12:13 AM
Sinking recess into chimney breast Scott Lapal UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:22 AM