nbj nbj is offline
Junior Member

I am listing the power strip that was damaged as suggested by Tom:

Brand: "Power Sentry" tv?vcr surge protector. Specifications include Resettable Cricuit Breaker: 15 amps, energy dissipation: 2450v Joules, and UL listing says that "this surge suppressor is rated for maximum limiting voltage at 500 amps per UL standard 1449 as follows: H-N 330 volt, H-G 330 volt, and N-G 30 volts.

I am sure many of you out there understand all this better than I do! I lost two of these, but the $3.50 one was reset and can still be used.

I have solved the problem by replacing the old plug with a new one from Home Depot. I have not had any problem since yesterday, though I am still apprehensive about leaving the unit running when no one's home. The wire still gets slightly warm to touch but my neighbor says that is normal.

And oh, I will only plug the A/C directly in the wall socket!!

Thank you all for all the suggestions. (my first forum!)