Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus marvelus is offline

Default Advice on cooker hoods

On 2 Aug 2006 05:57:48 -0700, wrote:

marvelus wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 03:20:45 -0700, "Gogs"
wrote:

[snip]

You can cut down the chimney with tin snips. I havnt done mine yet but
the ducting is where it has to be and the purely decorative "chimney"
will have an opening cut at one side. I'll probably box in the duct
which will also hide any tin snip roughness.

The lux air ones are all re badged elicias as far as I can see so look
at this site:
http://www.elica.co.uk/

elicia probably make the other models you mentioned too.

Interesting that Elica are based in Fabriano - the same place as the
producers of the Lux Air technical manual!

But the models do look differnt I agree, its just the grease filters
look the same as on mine.

This manual http://www.luxairhoods.com/downloads/LA-60-70-90-OC.pdf
shows that there is a fair amount of adjustment available in the height
of the chimney.

NB - The Lux Air web site points out that if the kitchern has a boiler
with a balanced flue in it, the cooker hood should also have a balanced
flue (or be used for re-circulating only).

http://www.luxairhoods.com/pages/faq.htm
"If the room where a ducted cooker hood is to be installed also
contains a fossil fuel burning appliance such as a boiler, then its
flue must be of the room sealed or balanced flue type"

You could read that also as its the boiler that must have the balanced
flue. Although a balanced flue on an extractor could recover some of
the wasted heat, the Germans have got them no doubt.

I don't know the gas regulations well enough to know whether this is a
legal requirement or just good practice. Seems sensible to me - carbon
monoxide poisoning and all that.

rgds
Alex.