Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Grounding wire from panel to gas pipe???

"John Grabowski" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
The electrician installed one exterior copper rod sunk in the ground
and attached directly to the 200A main breaker (which is exterior to
the house in a box with the meter) and then a second copper wire
running from where the water source enters the house (old galvanized
1" metal pipe) to the grounding strip within the 200A Subpanel.

Service Entrance
200A Main Breaker 200A Subpanel 100A Subpanel
Neurtral-----[----------]----------[-----------]---------[-----------]
[ | ] [ ] [ ]
Earth grnd --[--------- ]----------[-----------]---------[-----------]

Water pipe -----|

Note that all other subpanels feed off of the 200A Subpanel.
Note I have also shown where the neutral and grounds are bonded at the
main breaker.

Does this make sense and is it legal?

I think that the water pipe grounding conductor should have been connected
at the same point as the ground rod conductor at the main breaker in order
to be code compliant.

Are the neutral conductor and the water pipe grounding conductor terminated
separately so as to be isolated electrically from each other in the 200 amp
subpanel?

Yes. That is what I was trying to show in the picture.