Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
jasen jasen is offline

Default 9V battery testing; Thevenin equivalent; car headlamps.

On 2006-08-01, Joop van der Velden wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:
I recently tested a 9V alkaline battery by measuring its open-circuit
voltage (9.0 V) and then measuring it with a car headlight lamp (R = 1
Ohm) across the terminals (4.0 V). The lamp lit up brightly and got
warm, but from the significant voltage drop I conclude that the
battery is basically dead. Correct?

No, 1,25 ohm ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) for a 9V battery is
quite good. For a 1,5V "D" cell i would consider it too high.

Interesting. I though a 44% voltage drop sounded like a lot, but as
you and others have pointed out, the load resistance I've used is very
low. What sort of resistance do I really need for this sort of test?

If you've got lots of spare automobile parts there,
perhaps "3W" panel indicator lamp would be more realistic
or a 22 ohm resistor.

Right. I measured the lamp's resistance with an ohmmeter, which of
course puts very little current through it.

But I took the measurements by clipping the voltmeter (actually it's
the same meter) leads onto the battery terminals, reading the
open-circuit voltage, then pressing the lamp's terminals against the
battery terminals (the spacing was convenient --- that's where I got
the idea from) and immediately reading the loaded voltage (before the
lamp heated up).

One thing you could do if the meter has a 10A range is put the meter in
series with the lamp. then you can figure out the resistance of the lamp
using ohms law.

Bye.
Jasen