Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default "seasoning" cast iron frill grates

Kyle wrote:
how do I preserve the seasoning on cast iron grids when the
grill runs hot?

You cannot, seasoning is not a one time process. It is ongoing. You
will routinely oil the iron at every opportunity. A grill get a lot of
heat and abuse so you cannot oil it too often.

Is there a better way to get rid of rust on cast
iron?

Cast iron is rather porous which is why seasoning works. The downside
is that once rust gets started it cannot be stopped since the rust will
go down into the pores. you will find it difficult to remove rust
which is well established. Just keep oiling it and using it is all you
can do.

After you season a cast iron the job has just begun. Season must be
re-applies after each use and especially after cleaning. I have been
taught that a carfully seasoned skillet should never see soap or
scrubber since that would damage the finish which has been lovingly
applied over time. Srubbing will of course remove previous seasoning.

Rather than scrubbing, you soak your cast iron in warm water, no soap.
It won't take long for this soaking to loosen the gunk so that it can
be gently removed with a sponge. Scrub as little as possible, if at
all. This is the way I do with my griddle, skillets, and wok. It
might be difficult with large grates but worth a try. Always re-season
after a cleaning.

Third, for those of you who use cast iron, what is your experience? Do
you bring the grids back inside after cooking? If so, how and where do
you store them to keep them from rusting and to keep from getting grill
gunk on everything they touch?

I use cast iron, yes, but my iron is used inside. Cast is popular
outside for sure but grates in an outdoor grill are a special case.
Just keep the door closed when not in use and oil them at every
opportunity. Wash gently, if at all, if you want to preserve the
seasoning. When it is well seasoned the finish will be a deep black
color. I was taught that "The blacker the wok the better the cook".

Lawrence