Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "seasoning" cast iron frill grates

Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I
want to "season" them before the first grilling.
I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to
coat it with coking oil and put it on high heat.
What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ubin" wrote in message

Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I
want to "season" them before the first grilling.
I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to
coat it with coking oil and put it on high heat.
What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?
Thanks

I've seasoned cast iron cookware for many years using plain vegetable oil.
The same will work fine for your grill grates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:03:42 -0700, "Ubin" wrote:

Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I
want to "season" them before the first grilling.
I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to
coat it with coking oil and put it on high heat.
What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?
Thanks

Are the grates "gray", natural cast iron? Wash with soapy water and a
stiff brush. Rinse and dry.

Vegetable oil coating, placed in an oven 350F for one hour. Repeat to
darken.

Oil the grates, fire up the grill to 350 for an hour. "Seasoning" is a
process, so the oil is absorbed into the pores of the iron.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ubin wrote:
Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I
want to "season" them before the first grilling.
I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to
coat it with coking oil and put it on high heat.
What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?
Thanks

New cast iron has a protective coating on it to prevent rust. It must
be removed with a wire pad and hot soapy water. Really scrub it clean.
You will then be able to season it as previously described. Any oil
will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Weber recommends a solid fat (crisco or maybe butter) rather than a
liquid. But if you use butter it MUST BE UNSALTED. And I think they
say put the grates in the grill and run it on high for a while.

Doesn't your owner's manual talk about seasoning the grates?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
A new nine minute stand-up comedy video is on the website

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ubin" wrote in message

Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I
want to "season" them before the first grilling.
I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to
coat it with coking oil and put it on high heat.
What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?
Thanks

This is just my opinion. After you treat the grates with oil and "season"
them buy a pound or so of hamburger with the most fat you can find, spread
the burgers around the grill and cook them well done. Then throw them away!
The grease and smoke will add much flavor to a new grill.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Oil the grates, fire up the grill to 350 for an hour. "Seasoning" is a
process, so the oil is absorbed into the pores of the iron.

Oren

Not exactly. The oil is polymerized at elevated temperatures. It actually
changes molecular structure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ubin writes:

What method for a grill (what TYPE of oil)?

Not worth the effort. The first time the grids get smoking hot overheated,
you've spoiled it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:50:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

Oil the grates, fire up the grill to 350 for an hour. "Seasoning" is a
process, so the oil is absorbed into the pores of the iron.

Oren

Not exactly. The oil is polymerized at elevated temperatures. It actually
changes molecular structure.

Mom and Grandma just never explained it to me this way grin.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:50:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..

Oil the grates, fire up the grill to 350 for an hour. "Seasoning" is a
process, so the oil is absorbed into the pores of the iron.

Oren

Not exactly. The oil is polymerized at elevated temperatures. It actually
changes molecular structure.

Mom and Grandma just never explained it to me this way grin.

Oren

There's just some stuff parents aren't comfortable talking about, ya know?
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Not worth the effort. The first time the grids get smoking hot overheated,
you've spoiled it.

Which is where I'm stuck. My gas grill tends to run quite hot in a
couple spots, which burns away any seasoning. Which leads to my first
question: how do I preserve the seasoning on cast iron grids when the
grill runs hot?

Second, I won't say who did it, but let's just say that a certain
someone who asked me to go immediately to the house we were renovating
promised me she would take care of the grill didn't coat the grids with
oil and when I went to grill a week later, the grids had large patches
of rust on them.

I've spent a long time with both the traditional brass-wire grill brush
and the longer wire stainless steel brush trying to get the iron oxide
off, but to no avail. Is there a better way to get rid of rust on cast
iron?

Third, for those of you who use cast iron, what is your experience? Do
you bring the grids back inside after cooking? If so, how and where do
you store them to keep them from rusting and to keep from getting grill
gunk on everything they touch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Not worth the effort. The first time the grids get smoking hot overheated,
you've spoiled it.

snippy do dah
Third, for those of you who use cast iron, what is your experience? Do
you bring the grids back inside after cooking? If so, how and where do
you store them to keep them from rusting and to keep from getting grill
gunk on everything they touch?

If it's a Weber get the porcelain grates and be done with it. I noticed no
taste difference.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle writes:

Is there a better way to get rid of rust on cast iron?

Acid. Pool acid, CLR, Bar Keepers Friend.

You can't win with corrosion on outdoor grills. First you bake it bone dry
and apply chloride ions (table salt). Then you let it cool and moisten it
with a nightly condensing atmosphere. It eats aluminum, cast iron, steel,
stainless, everything. The military should use it as a test specification.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
how do I preserve the seasoning on cast iron grids when the
grill runs hot?

You cannot, seasoning is not a one time process. It is ongoing. You
will routinely oil the iron at every opportunity. A grill get a lot of
heat and abuse so you cannot oil it too often.

Is there a better way to get rid of rust on cast
iron?

Cast iron is rather porous which is why seasoning works. The downside
is that once rust gets started it cannot be stopped since the rust will
go down into the pores. you will find it difficult to remove rust
which is well established. Just keep oiling it and using it is all you
can do.

After you season a cast iron the job has just begun. Season must be
re-applies after each use and especially after cleaning. I have been
taught that a carfully seasoned skillet should never see soap or
scrubber since that would damage the finish which has been lovingly
applied over time. Srubbing will of course remove previous seasoning.

Rather than scrubbing, you soak your cast iron in warm water, no soap.
It won't take long for this soaking to loosen the gunk so that it can
be gently removed with a sponge. Scrub as little as possible, if at
all. This is the way I do with my griddle, skillets, and wok. It
might be difficult with large grates but worth a try. Always re-season
after a cleaning.

Third, for those of you who use cast iron, what is your experience? Do
you bring the grids back inside after cooking? If so, how and where do
you store them to keep them from rusting and to keep from getting grill
gunk on everything they touch?

I use cast iron, yes, but my iron is used inside. Cast is popular
outside for sure but grates in an outdoor grill are a special case.
Just keep the door closed when not in use and oil them at every
opportunity. Wash gently, if at all, if you want to preserve the
seasoning. When it is well seasoned the finish will be a deep black
color. I was taught that "The blacker the wok the better the cook".

Lawrence