Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair,comp.robotics.misc

Default Salvaging Components---Where Do YOU Get Them?

I would agree that the "greenies" can over do it at times....but it is
a very real fact that the United States is a VERY wasteful
country...which means that there is a cultural tendency to toss
something instead of reusing or recycling it.

Consumer electronics is a very real example of it.

I also have seen what disregard for the environment can do to the
countryside and the people who live there...so I try to reduce, reuse
and recycle personally. I tend to be very successful in finding salvage
items to support my varied interests to where I rarely buy anything
new.

Could you give me some examples of how the "greenies" have added to the
reduction of recycling a product? Not trying to bait you...I am truly
interested in understanding the situation.

TMT

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:23:54 -0600, Hamad bin Turki Salami
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

snip

It's ridiculous, even criminal, but that's economics. When something
is written off, it must be scrapped in such a way that it cannot be
reused. If the greenies weren't just a useless bunch of tree huggers,
then maybe this could change.

- Franc Zabkar

I doubt it is the "Greenies" who cause senseless destruction of useful
items.

Logic would dictate that they would rather see them recycled or reused.

My experience indicates that it is usually the fact that the item was a
tax writeoff or a company fears liability, industrial spying or
employee theft so they would rather destroy than have someone else
benefit.

TMT

I'm inclined to agree with Frank here. A fair number of environmental
lobbyists lose sight of reality and become so extreme that businessmen
and politicians don't feel that they're the kind of people they can do
business with. They would help their cause if they weren't so extreme
and were, dare I suggest it, more willing to compromise sometimes.

Chris