Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default A/C plug gets too hot

Michael A. Terrell ha escrito:

If the plug is damaged, you need to have the outlet replaced as
well. It may have been what caused the damage to the existing plug. I
ran into an air conditioner where it was used with an approved A/C
extension cord. There was excess plastic in the socket that only let one
side make contact. This made the connection run warm and melted the
plastic, which corroded the connection and fused the two connectors
together. If I hadn't found it and made proper repairs, there would
have been another electrical fire. I've lost two different breaker
boxes in the last eight years. One had the ground buss bar burn, and the
other box had the main breaker burn free of one of the two 120 VAC line
buss bars. Both were installed by licensed electricians and inspected
by the county, and a home inspection service before I bought the
property.

What brand were the burnt breaker boxes? Were they "Federal Pacific" by
chance?