Bruce L. Bergman

Default Flourescent lights in the shop

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:20:25 GMT, Ken Vale
wrote:
Koz wrote:

Just lookin for some better ideas before I plunk down my money.

Shop is about 1500 square feet, 14' ceilings and lighted with several
sets of 8' flourescents. Last year I replaced one unit in the shop
and one in the storeroom with high output fixtures. What a
difference! They seemed to put out twice the light and at that time I
felt they were worth every penny.

snip
Any other suggestions for light that won't break the budget? (120v by
the way...underpowered shop and no 220v available up there for the
commercial lighting fixtures often available surplus).

When I worked in a paint store we got in some kind of special
lights, I don't remember the company name (might have been Spectrum),
they were standard 4' bulbs that produced 97% of regular sunlight
(almost true colour, way brighter than standard flourescents). They cost
more than the standard light (I think almost double) but they lasted a
long time so it wasn't a bad trade off. These lights just went into a
standard fixture.
Ken

They are a standard F40T12 lamp with a special phosphor blend on the
envelope, and are available at good home centers and supply houses -
they are a lot more money ($4 to $6 each compared to $1 for cheapies)
but seriously worth the difference. Also available in many other
sizes and styles to match your fixtures (HO, 4'-6'-8' Slimline
single-pin, 40W U-tube, PL compact [Ott Lite], etc.) but may need to
be special ordered.

I use the GE SPEC-50 (5000K "Daylight") lamps around the house, but
there are many brands available with the same choices of color
temperature (in degrees Kelvin - "Warm White is 2700K and Cool White
is 4100K) and Color Rendering Index (how closely does it match natural
daylight). Ask to see a catalog at your favorite supplier.

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce Bergman, Woodland Hills CA USA.
Return address spam-trapped - Remove the Invalid Python using a Net.