Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Cutting skirting board

John Kelly wrote:
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

I have a mitre board which is a waste of space for this job. The
skirting I've got is torus one side and ogee the other and I think
that's the problem. If I could clamp the skirting board solidly and then
cut it then I cut get a decent cut but the mitre board doesn't do this.
What do other people do?

I'm willing to invest in this a little as I have a lot of skirting to do
in 3 rooms but what I get has to compete for space in a small well used
garage so permanent fixtures can't be used.

Thanks in advance

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

I chickened out of this some time ago as not only is there the headache
of the accuracy of the cut, but modern wide skirting boards inevitably
have a bow on them and that makes the cutting even more difficult.

I now run all skirting over the circular saw to give a series of scarf
cuts on the rear to take out the bow. And then I don't attempt to
mitre cut - I make nice feature blocks for all the corners and just
butt the skirting to them. But then I live in an old house and such
features go well with it and I'm prepared to put in the time to do that
sort of thing.

Rob