Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair,comp.robotics.misc
Ignoramus21606 Ignoramus21606 is offline

Default Salvaging Components---Where Do YOU Get Them?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:10:06 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On 31 Jul 2006 07:51:05 -0700, the renowned "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I doubt it is the "Greenies" who cause senseless destruction of useful
items.

Logic would dictate that they would rather see them recycled or reused.

My experience indicates that it is usually the fact that the item was a
tax writeoff or a company fears liability, industrial spying or
employee theft so they would rather destroy than have someone else
benefit.

TMT

Another reason is to avoid old, but still servicable, items from
affecting the market by displacing new items. We often took old
instruments such as temperature controls as 'trade ins' for new ones
and permanently disabled them before trashing them.

Another reason that often happens is that no one in the chain of
command cares.