Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stud wall sound insulation

nafuk wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I've trimmed the studs and moved them to one
side of the 2x4 sole and header plates, and then inserted some more 2x3
to make offset stud walls. I now notice that I may have to connect
noggins between the studs on one side of the wall to those on the other
side. Will this spoil the sound insulation properties?
Thank you

You'll live without noggins. If you want to stabilise against twist and
distortion, a 45 degree piece at top and another at bottom, effectively
bracing to the top and soleplate, will prevent twist if fixed solidly.
It wont prevent warp. An L shaped metal bracket top and bottom would do
the same.

Whether these are worth putting in I'm not so sure.

NT