Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Built-in fridge-freezer question

Hi David

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:58:21 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

On 30 Jul 2006 21:02:25 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

OK. I guess the 'toppling' thing could be overcome by use of a
suitable housing (currently we have the cooker & the fridge up off the
ground - both sitting in cooker housings - works fine) - but I imagine
there might be problems with ventilation....

I don't think I've ever come across a fabricated kitchen unit designed
to hold a separate fridge and freezer one above the other... my guess is
that the only reason is that such a configuration makes no sense at all
if your designing a kitchen from scratch; you'd simply have a single
fridge-freezer of comparable size, which would be much cheaper to buy
and to run than two. I suppose there's nothing to stop you building a
bespoke unit though - I can't see any fundamental problem with either
toppling or ventilation that can't be cured by the design. However, is
this a new fitted kitchen - are you going to end up trashing it by all
this work? Do you know which kitchen it is and can you still get more
bits for it?

Yes, it's a newly-fitted kitchen, and, as it was done in the last
couple of months I'd imagine that the same units / doors etc are still
available.

We'd do our best not to 'trash it' g - I'm sure that everything will
become clearer for us once we have moved out there (the house is in
the South-West of Ireland - and we're in Suffolk at the moment.... and
we're trying to plan everything from the agent's photos, our memory
and a set of plans that only vaguely resemble what's actually been
built !)

Just now, it's a matter of doing some research - hence the questions
about 'how' built-in units are arranged.

We might end up with a bog-standard upright fridge-freezer and just
fit cupboards where the existing units are - we'll have to decide
later. Hopefully we'll have a short visit out there before we actually
move there, and we'll make some decisions at that time...

Many thanks all
Adrian

Hopefully the builder will have left the instructions behind..... !

Yeah, right (sorry!)

David