Joel Corwith

Default O.T. Those ATF guys are silly

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:UPFEb.8347$JD6.3577@lakeread04...

Eric Pinnell wrote:

You have to love the stupidity of the ATF. I can hardly wait until
they figure out how many OTHER materials can be used to make rocket
motors, or how easy it is to make an artillery piece using magnets or
compressed air.
Ah, I just love goading the bull into useless rampages.

Back when I was in high school we had a rocketry club. We didn't have
all these prefabbed rocket motors. We turned nozzles out of aluminum or
molded them in ceramic. Bodies were aluminum tube and we cooked up a
concoction of neoprene, powdered aluminum and ammonium perchlorate in an
electric frying pan with a Rube Goldberg remote stirrer. We had a
healthy respect for them but nobody got upset. In fact the paper came
out and covered one of our launches. Made the front page bragging on
the quality of the local science education.

We would probably go to jail for that today.

'EX' as it is referred to by one hobby group is alive and well. APCP, ANCP,
Sugar motors all quite popular and relatively safe compared to 'early'
concoctions. The composite propellants (CP) don't require heat to combine
the components. More of a plastic binder.

Joel. phx

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net
http://www.trailertrashaerospace.com/
http://www.space-rockets.com/cptech.html