Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup Deemed Dangerous/ Poison Ivy Revisited

wrote:
I run a farm, and I am extremely careful around my animals. I was
very hesitant to use Roundup or anything else near them. I thoroughly
read up on Roundup and other weed killers. Roundup came up safe time
and time again. I would not believe Monsanto, or for taht matter, the
manufacturer of any product. I did read the govt. studies and many
more. It appears safe and the safest of all the choices. I still
will not use it where my animals will eat for at least a week, and I
still try to use as little as possible. However, of the choices
available, Roundup seems the safest and the only thing I will use.
On my lawn I have spot sprayed individual weeds. Thats a pain in the
butt to do, but it works.

Mark

Oh come on now. You mean you;re not gonna believe such credible
sources of unbiased scientific research as :

Women's Cancer Resource Center
Coaltion for a Healthy Oakland School Environment
Greenpeace
Natural Health Magazine
Organic Gardening
Alternative Medicine Magazine

Any one of these could publish a short story from any author with any
agenda and no credible qualifications.

The only real research study listed was done in Sweden using 400
patients diagnosed with NH Lymphoma. There, they tried to determine
what herbicides and pesticides people were exposed to over the
preceeding decades by questioning them or their survivors if they were
deceased. Now, already that makes the whole thing suspect. Relying
on surveys filled out by survivors as to what chemicals someone was
exposed to over the last 25 years is dubious a best. And most of
these people were likely exposed to many agents over those decades.
Trying to determine what MIGHT have caused cancer from that data is
virtually impossible.

And all this one study showed was some increased risk for exposure to
glyphosate. Anyone familiar with cancer studies knows that it's not
unusual for one study to suggest there MIGHT be an association, then
another study to show no association. That's why the scientific
community takes all the research as a whole when drawing conclusions.
Fear mongerers on the other hand, grasp at any info, then try to make
it look like it is the definitive work on the subject. For example,
there are thousands of studies one could cite that cast some question
on many of the food additives, drugs, or even the foods themselves that
we widely use today. If we went off the deep end based on one study,
virtually everything would be deemed dangerous.