Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Danger Nick Danger is offline

Default Refrigerator only partialy cooling

"F. H." wrote in message
Frigidaire Gallery about 6 yrs old (Model# FRS26ZGGW6)

Was working fine then seemed to stop cooling. Pull out and cleaned all
the lint etc. from coils and it seemed to get better but its not back to
full function. Won't make ice but if I put ice in the bin its cold enough
not to melt. On the food side it is just cool enough to keep things from
spoiling (so far).

Any tips much appreciated.

Check the condenser fan. You probably already know where it is; most likely
you removed a wad of dust from it when you were cleaning the coils. It pulls
cool air in over the coils and then blows hot air out over the pan where the
defrosted water drips. If the fan stops working, the refrigerator will
still stay kind of cool, but it will have to work very hard and things won't
be as cold as they should be.

Another possibility is the self-defrost. If the defrost timer or defrost
thermostat fails, then it won't defrost properly and you'll get a big
buildup of ice on the coils and the cold air won't circulate properly.
You'll probably have to empty out the freezer and remove the back panel to
get at the coils. This is always a tough thing to do when your frozen food
is already close to thawing; you might want to buy some dry ice beforehand
so you don't lose all your frozen stuff.

If you have it all opened up and don't find a frost buildup, then, while
it's still open, turn it on and let it run for a few minutes. If you see
frost build up on only the first few inches of coil after the compressor,
then the compressor is probably bad.

These are the things I've learned from experience. In a few more years, I
may have others to add to the list.