Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs Steven Briggs is offline

Default Volex flat plate sockets/switches

In message .com, Gogs
writes

I'd go for flat plate, provided the tiling is done well. Bumpy unevenly laid
tiles would look horrible with flat plate.

Christian.

I agree they would look better but after reading the instructions and
some posts on the screwfix forum, I am a bit concerned about how easy
they are to fit.

One leccy said 'Lugs on the boxes need to be below the plaster
considerably or the fittings do not sit flush. In my opinion, they
look unfinished and really tacky.

I've done the kitchen with the Volex black nickel flat stuff.
Looks very smart, but the lugs on the box need to be at least 1/4" below
the surface of the tiles / wall. The plastic gubbins of the accessory is
riveted to the metal front plate through the fixing holes. Generally not
to much of a problem if boxes were flush with the plaster, which has
then been tiled on top of.
But then the screws can be too short if the box is really deep, and
they're colour matched screws.
On a plastered only wall, I think it would be wise to sink the boxes
2-3mm below flush.
--
steve