Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike R. Courteau Mike R. Courteau is offline

Default Help: Sears Lathe Belt Drive Slippage

Unknown wrote:
I have a Sears "Professional" 15" variable speed lathe.

Model 351.217.156

I've had it for about 4 years, but to be honest I've used my small
Jet Mini lathe a lot more.

I've turned maybe 5 bowls, a few wands and other spindle turning on it.

So, today I put on another wand, turn the power switch on, and it's
going at full tilt (2000 rpm). So, while it's running, it start turning
it down to 400 (it's slow speed), partway down the knob feels loose, and
when I remove the cover, I see that the belt is loose, and if I
turn it down to 400 it's so loose the spindle stops entirely, even
though the motor is still spinning at full speed.

How easily is this fixed? I knew that a sears lathe would not last
as long as others, but with light use I figured it would last a
LOT longer.

And advice would be appreciated,

Phil

I happen to have a real sh**load of experience with this lathe, I own
one and it was the single biggest mistake I ever made when I put the
money down for it. I won't go into all the specifics but here is what
works for me.

To remove the pulley, get a threaded 5/16" rod long enough to reach
through the headstock. On one end, screw on a nut just enough that the
rod threads start to show. Use a pair of pliers and scrunch up the
threads so the nut never comes off. Get a big flat washer, 5/16" ID, 1
1/2" to 2" diameter. Drill 2 holes...ah crap. It's too complicated to
explain in words. I will post photos of the tool I use to remove the
damn thing on my website tonight. Sears, I found out, actually reef the
thing off the way you guys have described. It seems there's not a brain
in the group there that could figure out this simple set up!

As to the lubrication, the upper pulley is the one that needs the most
help. While you have it off using your new tool, look at the keyway cut
into the hole. Measure, approximately, 3 equal spaces around the hole
and drill 3 holes right through. Put the pulley back on. CAUTION, it
has been suggested you oil the shafts. That is what you will be doing
but beware that if you put enough oil on, it will splash onto the drive
belt and I don't need to tell you that a nice film of oil between a
belt and a pulley might not yield the grip you wanted! Can you spell
s.l.i.p.?

Check my site tonight. I'll take pictures today and post them under
....mmmh, let's see...Craftsman Heartache! That's appropriate. Let me
know if you have more questions.

Mike