Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Bazzer Smith Bazzer Smith is offline

Default Powerpoint iin the loft?

"Doctor D" wrote in message

Thanks. The problem with asking such questions is that the respondant
usually assumes you are familiar with the terms and jargon of the trade.
Indeed I have a DIY manual which falls into that trap!!
The tell you lots of things you don't what to know and omit the bits you
do!!
"feed from the lighting circuit, if you take it from the supply between
each light"

I assume a 'feed' is some sort of wire, rather than a ready made meal.

Anyway OK if I open up the ceiling flower I will see lots of wires
I did last time I tried it :O)
So how will that help? You see I am not familliar with household wiring,
If I was I propably wouldn't be asking would I!!

Anyway as far as I can see there only need to be two wires, a live one
(when switched on), and a return wire.
Anyway I will assume there will be a whole bumch of wires there as that
is what you imply.

"Sleeve your earth cables"???? Sleeve? I don't think I have an earth
cable
that I am aware of? What can all that mean?

"flying power lead"... hmmm....is that something to with aviation, will I
need
to take flying lessons?

Sorry, my mistake, I had assumed this was a tech newsgroup.
Call an electrician.

It's uk.d-i-y

OK I will stop this nonsense, What I am perhaps thinking of doing is
taking
a cheapo short (four-way) extention cable (costs about £1-£2) and taking
off the plug to expose the live earth and neutral wires.
Then I will try to connect them to the existing wires somehow from the
ceiling rose.

Anyway acording to this diagram I wont find the 'always live' wire at the
ceils rose.
So how do I find it?
I guess I need to find the wire from the switch, fortunately I will be
using a bathroom light which has a switch in the ceiling so that should
give
me a good clue. There will be an alway live wire there.
So......... I will be able to get a live and neutral wire at least, not
sure if
there is any earth (only remember seing two wires when I loooked in the
loft.

So I can either forget the earth all togeather or run a wire to a bit
too exposed pipe work. I guess I can test if it is earthed
by touching it with the live wire :O)

That way I will have four power points in the loft and still have a
plug on my amp, which incidently is basically a 'plug' ie it
has no cable.

You won't usually find a neutral at a light switch.
If your lighting circuit is not earthed your wiring is old and probably
needs re-wiring. Do not use it to feed any sockets - it won't be safe
without an earth.

What you have suggested is dangerous and does not comply with current (or
past) Regs.

So what only I will know about it and I am willing to take the
risk:O)