Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Afternoon sun tripping breaker.

mndean wrote:
Hi Everyone,.
It seems whenever the temperature gets over 100 degrees or so, a
particular breaker in my house will trip if even a slight load is put
on it. The breaker box is being directly hit by the sun in the
afternoons, and it seems that if I attempt to cool the box, this cures
the problem temporarily. The problem will go away as soon as the sun
is low enough so the box is in shade. Is this a faulty breaker? I'm
not an electrician, so how much would it be $-wise for an electrician
to come out and fix this? Thanks for any help you could give me in
this!

I would appear that the breaker may need to be replaced. This is an
easy job, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then having
an electrician do it should be a minimal charge. Note: there is a certain
amount of danger in doing this, so if you are not sure, just have it done.

What is that breaker controlling? Is there something on that circuit
like a A/C unit that could be having problems with the heat? There also
could be a problem with your power coming into your home. If the
transformer feeding your home is too small for the current demands of you
and your neighbors, it may need to be replaced as well. But breakers do go
bad and it does sound like that is your real problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit