Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Bazzer Smith Bazzer Smith is offline

Default Powerpoint iin the loft?

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message

"Doctor D" wrote in message

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message
I just bought a Freecom USB DDTV stick so I can watch (and record)
DDTV on my PC, however as my reception/(signal strength) is not too good
I had to buy a signal booster as well as I have to split the signal, it
is
one of those
ones you plug in to the mains so I used it in the 'living room' where
both
the TV and PC are. It seems to work find, however I an not too sure if
the
picture(s) are a little more 'fuzzy', perhaps due to noise from the
amplifier?
Anyway I have decent enough pictures on both 'sets'.
I did think I would be better off with the booster in the loft closer to

the
original signal, it could power the connection in the kitchen from their
too, and I could use a passive splitter downstairs?, however I have no
powerpoint
in the loft. Obviously there are wires for lighting in the loft, but
will
they
only work when the light is switched on?
I could simply run an extension cable up there, but that wold lok a bit
messy.

This has been covered in depth before so a Google will help you.
Briefly, the nearer to the aerial you amplify the signal the better,
although always keep amplifiers a good metre or so from the aerial.

To power the amplifier in the loft you can take a feed from the lighting
circuit, if you take it from the supply between each light rather than a
switch wire you won't have to worry about it only working when the light
is
on. Open up a convenient ceiling rose upstairs and you will be able to
trace
the feed cables, and tap in there. Sleeve your earth cables!

If the amplifier has a flying power lead, snip off the plug and connect
it
to the lighting circuit via a 3amp fused connection unit with double pole
switching http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...27148&ts=67719

If the amplifier is built into a 13 amp plug (a wall wart) use the
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...27148&ts=67719 with a 3amp
fuse to feed a standard 13 amp socket and plug it in there.

This prevents any future occupiers using your socket to plug in a 3kw fan
heater which would blow the fuse in the consumer unit and leave them in
the
loft in darkness! (Using a 3 amp fuse in the loft provides some
discrimination which should hopefully fail before the CU fuse does.)

Thanks. The problem with asking such questions is that the respondant
usually assumes you are familiar with the terms and jargon of the trade.
Indeed I have a DIY manual which falls into that trap!!
The tell you lots of things you don't what to know and omit the bits you
do!!
"feed from the lighting circuit, if you take it from the supply between
each light"

I assume a 'feed' is some sort of wire, rather than a ready made meal.

Anyway OK if I open up the ceiling flower I will see lots of wires
I did last time I tried it :O)
So how will that help? You see I am not familliar with household wiring,
If I was I propably wouldn't be asking would I!!

Anyway as far as I can see there only need to be two wires, a live one
(when switched on), and a return wire.
Anyway I will assume there will be a whole bumch of wires there as that
is what you imply.

"Sleeve your earth cables"???? Sleeve? I don't think I have an earth cable
that I am aware of? What can all that mean?

"flying power lead"... hmmm....is that something to with aviation, will I
need
to take flying lessons?

OK I will stop this nonsense, What I am perhaps thinking of doing is
taking
a cheapo short (four-way) extention cable (costs about £1-£2) and taking
off the plug to expose the live earth and neutral wires.
Then I will try to connect them to the existing wires somehow from the
ceiling rose.

Anyway acording to this diagram I wont find the 'always live' wire at the
ceils rose.
So how do I find it?
I guess I need to find the wire from the switch, fortunately I will be
using a bathroom light which has a switch in the ceiling so that should
give
me a good clue. There will be an alway live wire there.
So......... I will be able to get a live and neutral wire at least, not
sure if
there is any earth (only remember seing two wires when I loooked in the
loft.

So I can either forget the earth all togeather or run a wire to a bit
too exposed pipe work. I guess I can test if it is earthed
by touching it with the live wire :O)

That way I will have four power points in the loft and still have a
plug on my amp, which incidently is basically a 'plug' ie it
has no cable.

I forgot this limk I was looking at.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

Thanks anyway.