Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default old retaining wall

wrote:
been there done that wall repair gig

No doubt its old and someday may need replaced.

since your a buyer get a few estimates on replacing it, and try getting
something off on the cost of the home. the owner knows it has troubles.

big $$$ are available with a bit of negoiating

Say 3 contractors estimate 6 grand for replacement, start by asking for
that much offL)

no luck go to 50% or l;ower if need be,

you have nothing to lose and can save lots of money

The dirty secret is ALL RETAINING WALLS FAAIL EVENTUALLY!

easiet thing to do iis tear out wall taper hill a little and plant
groundcover. requires no futher work I have done that at 2 homes it
works great no hill doesnt slide!

anyhow for now use wall as bargaining point!

wrote:

SNIP
The dirty secret is ALL RETAINING WALLS FAIL EVENTUALLY!
SNIP

Why do some people posting to this group keep posting this silly
notion?

I've seen retaing walls show distress with a year of
construction.....I've seen 50 & 80 year old walls as stable as the day
they were built

do you not trust in engineered structures?

The statement

ALL RETAINING WALLS FAIL EVENTUALLY makes as much sense as
ALL BRIDGES FAIL EVENTUALLY!

are talking about within ithe wall's design life or are we considering
geologic time?

cheers
Bob