Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Help: Sears Lathe Belt Drive Slippage

Phil if your lathe has the "reeves drive" setup, than you probably have
the sheaves not moving back and forth, you will have to get some light
oil on the shafts and try to move the sheaves, the lubricant that was
on there is either gone or gotten hard and gummed in those 4 years, so
get it clean and lubricate it, that should be all that's needed IMO.
Just don't get a lot of oil/grease on there after you have it working
again, check your owners manual, a dry graphite lubricant might do it.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Unknown wrote:
I have a Sears "Professional" 15" variable speed lathe.

Model 351.217.156

I've had it for about 4 years, but to be honest I've used my small
Jet Mini lathe a lot more.

I've turned maybe 5 bowls, a few wands and other spindle turning on it.

So, today I put on another wand, turn the power switch on, and it's
going at full tilt (2000 rpm). So, while it's running, it start turning
it down to 400 (it's slow speed), partway down the knob feels loose, and
when I remove the cover, I see that the belt is loose, and if I
turn it down to 400 it's so loose the spindle stops entirely, even
though the motor is still spinning at full speed.

How easily is this fixed? I knew that a sears lathe would not last
as long as others, but with light use I figured it would last a
LOT longer.

And advice would be appreciated,

Phil