Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Fully Electric Car available soon

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:
In article ,

Everyone and his dog announce an electric car every few years as 'the
technology is now here' Except that it's not, and is a long way off at an
economic price to replace the IC engine.

As you can see the senile comments above were total and utter babble.

I think we've been down this route befo

We haven't. This car is in the Porche category and outperforms it in every
way; it is the "same" price in the USA.

Suffice to say that if large amounts of electricity are made from non
fossil fuels, then there is no reason for a similarity of fuel costs to be
a bar to electric cars. It is. e.g. more efficient to use wind power to
generate electricity to stuff in batteries than to use it to make liquid
fuel to be burnt at 40% efficiency.

See my post on this point.

On the battery costs, well there is nothing magic, or expansive, in a
lithium battery. Apart from the development and tooling up. They are just
bits of foil and plastic in a plastic bag with a secret witches brew of
gels. I can foresee DRAMATIC price reductions in them if they go into
large scale production.

If the Tesla gets things along to the stage where its ONLY a matter of
battery cost, then I am all for it.

I personally think we ARE on the edge of a realistic and practical
battery-electric car. Simply because lithium batteries are JUST good
enough to get the range, and more than good enough to get the performance.

The power management system has made it. And not having automotive people
in the setup.