Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fully Electric Car available soon

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:27:01 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

Well I suppose the usanians might get excited about it but on this
side of the pond we've had the C5 for years :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:27:01 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well bye, bye, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

Well I suppose the usanians might get excited about it but on this
side of the pond we've had the C5 for years :-)

- Equiv to 135mpg
- 130mph
- 250 miles range (will be better when more improved batteries are out in
a few years)
- 0-60 in 3 secs or so.

Not all at once though.

If equiv to 135mpg and range 250 miles that suggests about $4 to recharge
the battery. Assuming 15cents/kWh thats 26kWh stored energy.

As max power is 185kW which assume for 130mph, actual range approx 8.5
minutes or about 20 miles.

All assuming 100% efficiency which of course is crap. I am in UK so someone
check my figures, but they don't stack up from where I am sitting.

Slurp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:42:09 +0100, Slurp wrote:

If equiv to 135mpg and range 250 miles that suggests about $4 to
recharge the battery. Assuming 15cents/kWh thats 26kWh stored energy.

The 3.5 hour home charger needs a 70 Amp 220V supply.
70 * 220 * 3.5 / 1000 = 49 kWatt-hours so the stored energy must be quite
a lot higher than 26kWH otherwise you'd be cooking the batteries +
charger if you lost 23kWH in heat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slurp wrote:

Without picking through your figures, you probably are right. Max speed
is about power to drag. So going fast is very energy inefficient.

Picking through the specs, the vehicle weight is not quoted,and
acceleration is power to weight - so that'll be another battery-eater.

So that 250 mile range probably requires gentle acceleration and
moderate speed - but there are no concrete figures for the test
conditions - so we don't know.

On the plus side it quotes 1000lb for the battery pack weight, and it
sounds like it's using a single electric motor through a conventional
powertrain. Lotus make a light car - so maybe around a ton kerbweight?
And people from the electronics sector do know a few things about power
management - they're used to doing everything possible to get the most
out of a battery.

That many Li-ion cells must be a large proportion of the price - I
wonder if you get good quality or even hand-matched cells? And how long
before the battery pack has had enough and requires replacing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:28:56 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

- 250 miles range (will be better when more improved batteries are out in a
few years)

A saloon is due in 18 months time. They predict the miles range will be
even better as a new generation of batteries comes in.

The company is based in Silicon Valley.

Designed, and funded, by IT people

No vapourware here then? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:28:56 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

- 250 miles range (will be better when more improved batteries are out in
few years)

A saloon is due in 18 months time. They predict the miles range will be
even better as a new generation of batteries comes in.

The company is based in Silicon Valley.

Designed, and funded, by IT people

No vapourware here then? :-)

Apparently not. Do a Google of Tesla Motors. They are well funded and
backed. The car is available in a few months time and made by Lotus. I
doubt Lotus would get into Vapourware after the DeLorean fiasco. DeLoren
wasn't actually vapourwarwe. They made 1000s of cars. Greed shut that
outfit down.

This appears the first mass produced "modern" electric car. They were mass
produced pre WW1. Battery technology is improving by the month without a
doubt. A small Fiesta sized car designed for optimal usage and efficiency
would be a great success. A car like this would never come from the
traditional car industry. It had to be outsiders who look at it from a
different angle and don't have their heads full yesterdays technology and
ways. They want the status quo and keep selling us antiquated polluting
crap.

Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if needed.
This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend range for long
tourers. A full EV would do 90% of people in car usage. It may do 100% if
the advances keep on rolling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

Care to take a little bet of say 1000 quid that the saloon won't be on
sale in 18 months time? And another that the price won't be anywhere near
competitive in the UK with a diesel of equivalent performance?

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It seems like the EV is here now for good. I'll have to buy one.

In the same way as you bought a Prius? ;-)

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slurp wrote:
[...]

Where are you going to do 130mph for 20 miles?

Efficiency overall charge to wheel should be around 90%.

I think you will find the range is cruising at 55mph, or 65mph, or an
averaged cycle.

I also calculated about 30Kwh is what it takes to achieve this sort of
performance.

Slurp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Slurp wrote:

[...]

Indeed. All valid points.

the discharge rate is not excessive - anything over 20 minutes-to-flat
is not a huge stress for a lithium cell, and that means they can be
optimised for low self-discharge and decent cycle life. At least 100
cycles (20,000 miles) is EASILY obtained, and 500 cycles (100,000 miles)
should be within reach. You wouldn't necessarily need hand matched
cells. The way I'd do it is create plug in blocks each with a
voltage/current/temperature monitor on them feeding a data bus, and
switch em in and out as they got flat, or near overcharging, or too hot etc.

Then at service time, any substandard blocks get swapped out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

Care to take a little bet of say 1000 quid that the saloon won't be on
sale in 18 months time? And another that the price won't be anywhere near
competitive in the UK with a diesel of equivalent performance?

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter. In bulk I could
probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's around $15,000 for
a 30KWh pack...

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if
needed. This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend
range for long tourers.

This would be why Toyota have dropped the Stirling cycle engine on all
their new designs after it proved so uneconomical in the Prius?

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Care to take a little bet of say 1000 quid that the saloon won't be on
sale in 18 months time? And another that the price won't be anywhere
near competitive in the UK with a diesel of equivalent performance?

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter.

Then it should be a sure thing for dribble? I'm willing to take one or the
other or both from him. Of course he'd never put his money where his gob
is.

In bulk I could probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's
around $15,000 for a 30KWh pack...

Indeed. And a tiny company just ain't going to sell at a loss - unlike
Toyota, etc.

Everyone and his dog announce an electric car every few years as 'the
technology is now here' Except that it's not, and is a long way off at an
economic price to replace the IC engine. And of course domestic
electricity isn't taxed unlike road fuels. So if it became the norm for
road use the price advantage would soon disappear.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulenece wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if
needed. This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend
range for long tourers.

This

Sad isn't it. A hot day and I hope they took him to the beach. I hope he
hasn't made his loafers dirty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It seems like the EV is here now for good. I'll have to buy one.

In

Sad isn't it. I hope medical science makes a breakthrough. Then the
babbling will stop. So sad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

Care

Yes, care. The care is not good enough for him. It is nice they let him
near the Internet though. But they think this is doing him good - all it
does is make him worse. Maybe more Omega 3 is what he needs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Care to take a little bet of say 1000 quid that the saloon won't be on
sale in 18 months time? And another that the price won't be anywhere
near competitive in the UK with a diesel of equivalent performance?

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter.

Then it should

It is sad. All this babbling drivel. These hot days make them this way.
Very sad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter. In bulk I could
probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's around $15,000 for a
30KWh pack...

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

This car competes with the Porche types, outperforms them, is simpler and
super quiet.......and is the same price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This appears the first mass produced "modern" electric car. They were mass
produced pre WW1. Battery technology is improving by the month without a
doubt. A small Fiesta sized car designed for optimal usage and efficiency
would be a great success. A car like this would never come from the
traditional car industry. It had to be outsiders who look at it from a
different angle and don't have their heads full yesterdays technology and
ways. They want the status quo and keep selling us antiquated polluting
crap.

Yes I suppose the electric car does it crapping elsewhere.. at the power
station?....

Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if needed.
This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend range for long
tourers. A full EV would do 90% of people in car usage. It may do 100% if
the advances keep on rolling.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:29:46 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

. ..

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter. In bulk I could
probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's around $15,000 for a
30KWh pack...

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

This car competes with the Porche types, outperforms them, is simpler and
super quiet.......and is the same price.

It's not the same price because there aren't any to buy.

You can't buy one at any price.

HTH

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

not cheaper to run than the LOREMO then? (diesel 135mpg)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if
needed. This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend
range for long tourers.

This would be why Toyota have dropped the Stirling cycle engine on all
their new designs after it proved so uneconomical in the Prius?

60 mpg is uneconomic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I think we've been down this route befo

Suffice to say that if large amounts of electricity are made from non
fossil fuels, then there is no reason for a similarity of fuel costs to
be a bar to electric cars. It is. e.g. more efficient to use wind power
to generate electricity to stuff in batteries than to use it to make
liquid fuel to be burnt at 40% efficiency.

On the battery costs, well there is nothing magic, or expansive, in a
lithium battery. Apart from the development and tooling up. They are
just bits of foil and plastic in a plastic bag with a secret witches
brew of gels. I can foresee DRAMATIC price reductions in them if they go
into large scale production.

If the Tesla gets things along to the stage where its ONLY a matter of
battery cost, then I am all for it.

I personally think we ARE on the edge of a realistic and practical
battery-electric car. Simply because lithium batteries are JUST good
enough to get the range, and more than good enough to get the performance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
This appears the first mass produced "modern" electric car. They were mass
produced pre WW1. Battery technology is improving by the month without a
doubt. A small Fiesta sized car designed for optimal usage and efficiency
would be a great success. A car like this would never come from the
traditional car industry. It had to be outsiders who look at it from a
different angle and don't have their heads full yesterdays technology and
ways. They want the status quo and keep selling us antiquated polluting
crap.

Yes I suppose the electric car does it crapping elsewhere.. at the power
station?....

Indeed. it might.

Unless other than fossil fuel is used, the whole thing doesn';t make
sense from any but a *local* pollution point of view.

Change over to other forms of electrical power generation that don't
involve fossil fuels, and can't be used in cars, and the picture changes
dramatically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mrcheerful . wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

not cheaper to run than the LOREMO then? (diesel 135mpg)

Depends on whether the diesel is taxed at the same rate as the electricity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:29:46 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

.. .

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter. In bulk I could
probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's around $15,000 for
30KWh pack...

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

This car competes with the Porche types, outperforms them, is simpler and
super quiet.......and is the same price.

It's not the same price because there aren't any to buy.

You can't buy one at any price.

The price has been set, deposits are being taken and the first delivered
will be around September.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

not cheaper to run than the LOREMO then? (diesel 135mpg)

Since when does a tractor do 135mpg?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Larger vehicles may have an onboard charger of a Stirling engine if
needed. This could also do the a/c., heating and lighting to extend
range for long tourers.

This would be why Toyota have dropped the Stirling cycle engine on all
their new designs after it proved so uneconomical in the Prius?

60 mpg is uneconomic?

He is confused you know - the weather and all that takes its toll on them.
Currently electric motors assist an IC engine in hybrids. In an EV, a
Stirling would only be charging and doing ancillary electrical work. They
use them in boilers and they only have a freewheeling piston. No crank
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
This appears the first mass produced "modern" electric car. They were
mass
produced pre WW1. Battery technology is improving by the month without a
doubt. A small Fiesta sized car designed for optimal usage and efficiency
would be a great success. A car like this would never come from the
traditional car industry. It had to be outsiders who look at it from a
different angle and don't have their heads full yesterdays technology and
ways. They want the status quo and keep selling us antiquated polluting
crap.

Yes I suppose the electric car does it crapping elsewhere.. at the power
station?....

75% of a car's tank of fuel is wasted. It is cheaper, and envormentally
better, to pour the fuel in a turbine maximised for efficiency with the
latest stack scrubbers, make electricity, send to homes or charging points,
charge a battery in a car and run a car on an electric motor. Only 5% of
the energy stored in a battery is wasted. It is not just shifting the
pollution to another place, although any pollution produced is not in the
way of human lungs.

Electric cars do not pollute at point of use, and the lungs of millions of
people in cities will be spared (it is worth doing for that alone). Battery
technology has come along way in the past 5 years and all is here now and
feasible, with power management making a big impact now. Not only that
there is the "just introduced" batteries that will make matters even better,
and as time moves on battery technology will improve even further as
competition takes hold.

Current cars are scrapped because they are uneconomic to repair. The body
and suspension may be sound and management system may have gone, so scrapped
they are. They are complex and highly inefficient. Electric cars have
little to them and will last a hell of a time, about three times that of
current cars. So, imbedded energy in making cars is far less too. All adds
up. You know it make sense.

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/energie_elektrotechnik...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/electric_battery/

.....and on and on.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:
In article ,

Everyone and his dog announce an electric car every few years as 'the
technology is now here' Except that it's not, and is a long way off at an
economic price to replace the IC engine.

As you can see the senile comments above were total and utter babble.

I think we've been down this route befo

We haven't. This car is in the Porche category and outperforms it in every
way; it is the "same" price in the USA.

Suffice to say that if large amounts of electricity are made from non
fossil fuels, then there is no reason for a similarity of fuel costs to be
a bar to electric cars. It is. e.g. more efficient to use wind power to
generate electricity to stuff in batteries than to use it to make liquid
fuel to be burnt at 40% efficiency.

See my post on this point.

On the battery costs, well there is nothing magic, or expansive, in a
lithium battery. Apart from the development and tooling up. They are just
bits of foil and plastic in a plastic bag with a secret witches brew of
gels. I can foresee DRAMATIC price reductions in them if they go into
large scale production.

If the Tesla gets things along to the stage where its ONLY a matter of
battery cost, then I am all for it.

I personally think we ARE on the edge of a realistic and practical
battery-electric car. Simply because lithium batteries are JUST good
enough to get the range, and more than good enough to get the performance.

The power management system has made it. And not having automotive people
in the setup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mrcheerful
. wrote:
This would be why Toyota have dropped the Stirling cycle engine on all
their new designs after it proved so uneconomical in the Prius?

60 mpg is uneconomic?

Try 35 or so on a motorway.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
He is confused you know - the weather and all that takes its toll on
them. Currently electric motors assist an IC engine in hybrids. In an
EV, a Stirling would only be charging and doing ancillary electrical
work.

Sad, your total lack of engineering knowledge. You think you've invented
perpetual motion.

They use them in boilers and they only have a freewheeling
piston. No crank either.

They use them in boilers? Must be ideal for a road vehicle then. After all
they're the same thing.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
This car is in the Porche category and outperforms it in every
way; it is the "same" price in the USA.

It's not on sale. You're reading adverts again. One day you'll realise
they are often fantasy.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where are you going to do 130mph for 20 miles?

If I was in a hurry that would just about get me to the nearest Tesco's -
but then I would have to catch a bus back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:29:46 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

. ..

I wouldn't bet the former, but would bet the latter. In bulk I could
probably get lithium cells at 50c a watt-hour..that's around $15,000
for a
30KWh pack...

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

This car competes with the Porche types, outperforms them, is simpler and
super quiet.......and is the same price.

It's not the same price because there aren't any to buy.

You can't buy one at any price.

The price has been set, deposits are being taken and the first delivered
will be around September.

Anybody can set a price, take deposits/specify a delivery date for a fantasy
widget.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Everyone and his dog announce an electric car every few years as 'the
technology is now here' Except that it's not, and is a long way off at an
economic price to replace the IC engine. And of course domestic
electricity isn't taxed unlike road fuels. So if it became the norm for
road use the price advantage would soon disappear.

I don't know. They'd have to apply duty to all electricity then - it's not
like you can stick a chemical marker on the electrons. I suspect duty on
all electricity would be a real vote killer.

I was wondering about the 70A charging mentioned earlier too. 63A would be
more convenient as there are plugs and sockets already available at this
rating. In theory the RECs should love this, if the car could be charged on
a timer overnight when other demands are low.

I've always suspected that an electric car could kick the nads off IC
engined types. Motor and control technology is already pretty polished -
problem has always been with storing enough electricity. Back in the 80's
someone developed a sodium battery that was supposed to be the answer. Then
there were batteries based on aluminium. This one does sound a bit more
hopeful as it is using mainstream technology - the residual problem 1 now
being cost - but we've seen many cases where that's sorted itself out
(early mobile phones were not cheap for example).

Problem 2 is infrastructure - for this to really take off, you need to have
top up points available, probably at roadside cafes or car parks. Not
insoluble.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Made by Lotus and will do low flying. A saloon available in around 18
months time. Well by, by, internal combustion engine.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...ory_page_prev2

(assuming you meant "Bye Bye", as in the end of the IC...

Still very limited - such that for most people it could not replace a
conventional IC car 100%.

$80,000 price?, say £55,000 on an optimistic $:£ technology ratio.

250 miles for a 2 seater driven frugally, then a specialised 3.5 hr
recharging time. Hmmm, there goes the weekend trips. Still, no boot
space to support a weekend trip.

The saloon is expected to have a significantly reduced range, due at
least in part to the increased weight. Less range (still with a 3.5 hr
recharge time) - less practical.

Oh, and if you think oil was scarce, try the Lithium used in the
batteries. Replace all ICs with lithium powered electric and I think
you'll hit a minor snag.

Maybe a nice toy for whacking around country lanes, and for the local
commute. Beyond that and it is simply not practicable.

Please note that I'll welcome the day that electric replaced IC - but
that day isn't here yet, nor will it be in 18 months with the release of
the saloon. With the recharging limitations of this technology you need
to be looking at something like a three-fold range improvement before
you can start scrapping the IC.

Close, but no cigar.

Whatever happened to hydrogen fuel cells?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slurp wrote:
Where are you going to do 130mph for 20 miles?

If I was in a hurry that would just about get me to the nearest Tesco's -
but then I would have to catch a bus back.

If you could afford a Tesla you wouldn't be shopping at Tescos.
QED.