Posted to alt.home.repair

Default old retaining wall

"pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the feedback Edwin.

Just to follow up, the wall is 1' on the level side of the street --
but on the sloped side it might taper out to about 5'!

I looks to be concrete or a concrete/stone combo, and I just saw a
picture of it about 3 years ago and you can see that major touch-ups
had been done around that time because they allmost white back then.
It looked like there were a lot of major cracks, and the corner was
almost completed touched up.

Any further thoughts?

-Pat

If there are cracks, but the wall is reasonably straight, it should still
not be a deal breaker, IMO. If it is being pushed far out from plumb, it
will need attention sooner. It may have to be removed, deeper better
footings put in, then rebuilt. That would be costly and is a consideration
for the overall value (price) of the house. Probably be best to get
someone to take a look at it if that is the case.