Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default electrical panel question

On 20 Jul 2006 20:42:54 -0700, "
wrote:

CJT wrote:
wrote:
my comments about upgrading, with a 35 year old panel you get all new
breakers, they can go bad overtime.

so replace them as they go bad

plus arc fault breakers for
bedrooms and GFCI kitchens and baths.

you can install GFCI without a service upgrade

plus the panel is mazed out.

unless expansion is warranted, being maxed out isn't a problem --
it just means you're using all the capacity you initially paid for

come
time to sell the home all these issues equal less money...

I seriously doubt the amount spent will be recovered in a sale

let alone
upgrading to code for grounding.

be specific -- what does an upgrade allow that you couldn't do
separately?

35 years is a long time and electrical use continues to grow

You know electric service is similiar to a appliance... What other
appliances do you use forever? Its all well and good to save money but
its smart money to invest in your home. upgrading does just that and
trust me a 35 year old maxed out panel will be flagged by a home
inspector as needing upgrading..

Still confused, it 'needs upgrading' why?

By code?

Your option?

later,