Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Dust explosion

Seems you have proven that if you try hard enough to do it wrong, something
bad will happen.
"sweetsawdust" wrote in message
Forget the dust collector the drill press is the villain here. To day

while
drilling a 8" deep 1" hole with a spade bit at high speed in oak, I had

an
explosion. I was about 3 1/2" deep into the hole when with a loud bang

and
what appeared to be a flash, dust went all over the shop. Blinded by a

layer
of sawdust covering my glasses and with the taste of burned oak (maybe

from
oak dust landing in my pipe) I groped for the off switch to the drill

press.
In shock I looked at my wood, which was hanging from the drill bit and it
looked fine with out my glasses on, looked fine after I cleaned my glasses
and set down for a minute too. Found some ash and smell of "smoke" in the
hole I was drilling so it must have been a real dust explosion. So dust
explosions do happen but maybe not in dust collectors.