Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default OT steel stud for shop building

On 20 Jul 2006 21:35:35 -0700, wrote:

that's the engineer's job...

Ahhh. Well, sounds like you're all set to go then.

When you do regular stick
framing, the sheathing provides most of the lateral strength of the
building, and it just doesn't seem like foam would be enough to keep
the thing from flattening out given enough wind on the gable ends.

the stucco provides a lot more shear than the foam. drywall on the
inside provides a fair bit also. prolly the injuneer will want some
cross brace straps anyway.

I guess my thought was based on hanging the lath over the foam and
attaching that lath with screws or nails through a layer of foam
board. When they're hanging out like that, they're not very strong.
No idea how strong stucco is by itself, as I've only put it over
sheathing on regular framed walls, and old stuff I've removed from
time to time seems to bust up pretty easily. Didn't know you were
drywalling, that does change things a bit.

That isn't to say it needs plywood- it might be a matter of lateral
strapping

diagonal is my guess.

Yeah, or both. Lateral strapping works fine if it's folded on either
edge with relief cuts for the studs. Diagonal straps always look
useless to me, as people rarely get the suckers tight enough.

Anyhow, if you've got an engineer on the job, I'm sure you've got it
under control. I was thinking it might be a DIY job that was by guess
and by gosh, and I'd hate to hear about a guy's shop getting whacked
over by the first good storm to roll along.