Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default OT steel stud for shop building

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news

I don't do steel stud construction much, but the stuff I've used seems
a little flimsy to use nothing but foam and metal lath on it. Before
you get too far along, I'd do a search or two on shear panel
requirements for steel stud framing- you don't want it blowing over
the first time a big gust of wind hits it!

Simething to chew on, a builder in Houston IIRC Perry Homes, built homes
with steel studs in the SW Houston, Sugarland area off of HWY6. The homes
used wood for headers but the studs were all steel. These homes are doing
well 10 years later.

Also in SW Houston, Hawthorn Suites a hotel chain, was building a 2 story
hotel and was in the process of adding the roof. At the time no interrior
or exterior covering had been attached to the walls. We had a small front
blow through and the whole structure folded and came down. All wood
construction and at least one person was killed. The whole site had to be
cleared and started from the foundation.

As you stated, the wall covering material adds the strength. The home
builder used sheet rock as he would have had he been using wood studs.