Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default OT steel stud for shop building

wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
wrote:
I'm getting ready to build myself a new shop building. for various
reasons, I'm ending up with a steel stud design snip

Why not wood?

termites are an issue here. I started out with a more conventional
design, but one component at a time started looking like steel would be
a good fit.

Those little suckers can really do some damage. I was really just
wondering.

How big is this building to be?

about 1300 sq ft.

Nice. I like the size. A cabinetmaker I worked for built a 3200 sq
ft. pole barn for his shop and I think it was too big. It wasn't so
much that you were walking from machine to machine all the time, but
that there was no real incentive to make things convenient, or
ergonomic, or "boat-like". Even with all that space it seemed like it
got crowded in a hurry with half finished work and repair jobs that
never seemed to be a priority. Plus, I just finished a few of Sara
Susanka's "Not So Big House" books, so that's fresh in my mind too!

For commercial use?

not all of it will be shop, but most of it will. this is a one man,
personal shop. a bit more than a hobby shop, as woodworking is how I
pay the bills, but as it's at my house, on residential land, it will be
built as a garage. yeah, for my big RV... ;)

Good luck, and have fun with it. (The shop and the RV.)

JP