Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Kim Bolton Kim Bolton is offline

Default Powerpoint iin the loft?

Bazzer Smith wrote:

I just bought a Freecom USB DDTV stick so I can watch (and record)
DDTV on my PC, however as my reception/(signal strength) is not too good
I had to buy a signal booster as well as I have to split the signal, it is
one of those
ones you plug in to the mains so I used it in the 'living room' where both
the TV and PC are. It seems to work find, however I an not too sure if the
picture(s) are a little more 'fuzzy', perhaps due to noise from the
amplifier?
Anyway I have decent enough pictures on both 'sets'.
I did think I would be better off with the booster in the loft closer to the
original signal, it could power the connection in the kitchen from their
too, and I could use a passive splitter downstairs?, however I have no
powerpoint in the loft. Obviously there are wires for lighting in the loft, but will
they only work when the light is switched on?
I could simply run an extension cable up there, but that wold lok a bit
messy.

For the best signal (technically, signal-to-noise ratio) you need to
boost the signal as near as you can get to the aerial; in your case,
that's in the loft. My booster is in the loft, and I power it from
downstairs with an extension cable in the same wall-channel as the
pipes from the central heating boiler.

Using a splitter downstairs is OK.