Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Doctor D Doctor D is offline

Default Powerpoint iin the loft?

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message
I just bought a Freecom USB DDTV stick so I can watch (and record)
DDTV on my PC, however as my reception/(signal strength) is not too good
I had to buy a signal booster as well as I have to split the signal, it is
one of those
ones you plug in to the mains so I used it in the 'living room' where both
the TV and PC are. It seems to work find, however I an not too sure if the
picture(s) are a little more 'fuzzy', perhaps due to noise from the
amplifier?
Anyway I have decent enough pictures on both 'sets'.
I did think I would be better off with the booster in the loft closer to

the
original signal, it could power the connection in the kitchen from their
too, and I could use a passive splitter downstairs?, however I have no
powerpoint
in the loft. Obviously there are wires for lighting in the loft, but will
they
only work when the light is switched on?
I could simply run an extension cable up there, but that wold lok a bit
messy.

This has been covered in depth before so a Google will help you.
Briefly, the nearer to the aerial you amplify the signal the better,
although always keep amplifiers a good metre or so from the aerial.

To power the amplifier in the loft you can take a feed from the lighting
circuit, if you take it from the supply between each light rather than a
switch wire you won't have to worry about it only working when the light is
on. Open up a convenient ceiling rose upstairs and you will be able to trace
the feed cables, and tap in there. Sleeve your earth cables!

If the amplifier has a flying power lead, snip off the plug and connect it
to the lighting circuit via a 3amp fused connection unit with double pole
switching http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...27148&ts=67719

If the amplifier is built into a 13 amp plug (a wall wart) use the
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...27148&ts=67719 with a 3amp
fuse to feed a standard 13 amp socket and plug it in there.

This prevents any future occupiers using your socket to plug in a 3kw fan
heater which would blow the fuse in the consumer unit and leave them in the
loft in darkness! (Using a 3 amp fuse in the loft provides some
discrimination which should hopefully fail before the CU fuse does.)