Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.boats.motor
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Which adhesive for (polypropelene?) 2-stroke fuel tank?

Al Deveron was thinking very hard :
Advice please... I need to stick a plastic fuel tap into the hole in
the bottom of a plastic 2-stroke fuel tank (the tank looks like
polypropelene) on an outboard motor. The fuel tap was originally a
screw-in job but a previous owner stripped the threads. I used
Araldite last time, but it didn't hold very well.

What adhesive should I try next? Superglue? I also have some Golden
Hermatite. Perhaps that would work...

None will be effective I fancy.

You said late that the threads were damaged on both items. Could you
not take the tap along to a machinists shop and ask them to clean the
threads on the tap up or even tap it down to a slightly smaller thread
size?

Then ask them to make up a brass fitting - like a threaded nut with a
large flat shoulder on it. Cut out the treaded portion in the tank then
fit the above with a soft washer impervious to fuel. In other words
trap the tank firmly between the two parts.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)