Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.boats.motor
Al Deveron Al Deveron is offline

Default Which adhesive for (polypropelene?) 2-stroke fuel tank?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:31:50 GMT, "Nick" wrote:

I would try a large diameter, short brass nut, washers and bolt into a tight
fitting hole with a "suitable-for-fuel rubber" washer each side - then drill
and tap the brass bolt and screw in the (or a new) petrol tap.

Unfortunately, the thread is stripped off the plastic petrol tap too.
But tapping new threads is more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for
the suggestion, though. I really just need a quick fix until such time
as I can obtain a second, identical motor to butcher for spares.

Also depends on "what if it leaks" - a lawn mower/ outboard motor I wouldn't
worry so much, but if it leaks somewhere where vapours could collect, go the
new route.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if it started to leak a drop or
two every 30 minutes ro so, since it is an outboard motor hanging off
the back of a boat.

However, I reckon it should be possible to jerry-rig it so that it
doesn't leak at all. Last time, I fixed it in with Araldite. It didn't
leak at all - but it wasn't very strong either. The tap pulled out too
easily. I reckon there must be some adhesive - or other goo - that
will give some adhesion and be impervious to 2-stroke mix. Red
Hermatite? Golden Hermatite? Superglue? Uhu? The fit is still pretty
snug despite the lack of threads.

BTW, I'm not at all sure what kind of plastics the tank and petcock
are. They may well be something other than polypropylene. Nylon,
possibly. One thing's for su they look like the sort of plastic
that's not easy to stick together!

Al D