Posted to alt.home.repair
sparty sparty is offline

Default Running my house from a Generator, can I do this?....

Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department wrote:
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department wrote:
Because you have a Square-D Homeline panel you can obtain an interlock
kit that will allow you to use a double pole breaker installed in
position 2&4 as the generator breaker. The interlock kit prevents the
2-4 breaker from being closed until you have opened the main breaker.
That kit runs about fifty dollars at an electrical supply house. The
size of the breaker that you install in position 2-4 will limit the
amount of current you can supply to your home through the connection.
Your generator must be equipped with a 120/240 volt outlet for it's
power to be safe to connect to the home in this way. No matter what
size your generator is you may want to consider installing a fifty
ampere breaker so that any generator that you would ever want to use, up
to 12000 watts, could be connected through that connection. You then
run a four wire cable from the panel back to were the inlet connector
for the generator will be installed. The cable is sized for the size of
the position 2-4 breaker. Fifty amperes is the largest size of inlet
that is commonly available. The actual limit on the amount of current
the line will carry is the sizing of the breakers on the generator. The
simplest arrangement is to match the inlet to the outlet on the
generator so that you will not need an adapter to connect the generator
cable to the inlet. It is perfectly OK to use a twenty ampere inlet on
the fifty ampere cable but if the generator isn't at least 5000 watts it
is probably not worth connecting it to your home in this way. The power
inlet you use should be weatherproof while in use. The total materials
cost of this installation is approximately $200.

Once this installation is in place you can use any load in your home up
to the ability of the generator to carry the total load. You are not
limited to the particular loads that are connected to a special panel.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

sparty wrote:
So to be able to do that, it sounds like I would have to move breakers
2 & 4 to the bottom to make room for this? If the hot wire isn't long
enough to do that, is it ok to use a wire nut and lengthen it?

Also, yes I plan on buying a 12000W Generator and a 50amp breaker to
run it. I will then run 6 guage wire from my basement to my garage and
install a plug outside with a weatherproof case around it and a lock.

So I need to call an electrical supply house and tell them I need a
interlock kit for a Square-D Homeline panel? Is that the exact name?
If I can get one of these, then this would probably be the best and
cheapest option then, thanks.

Sparty
The custom on Usenet is to post replies at the bottom of any quoted
material. It makes the conversation easier for others to follow.

Yes it is OK to splice in the panels wiring trough.

When you say that you will "install a plug outside" what do you mean?
You can install a cord that is spliced right on to the cable or you can
install a flanged inlet which is the same pins as a plug end of a cord
rigidly fastened to a mount to receive a receptacle cord cap. Do not
install a receptacle at the supply end of the cable.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

I would like to run 6 guage wire from my basement to my garage like I
mentioned. I want to make this nice and clean looking. Then on the
outside of my 3rd stall garage, I would like to have something that a
generator can plug into, using an extension cord.

I would like to make about a 10 foot or so 6 guage extension cord. One
side would plug into the generator and the other side to the plug, or
whatever I need to install outside.