Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Wasp nest

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
[snip]

Incidentally, their was a study some time ago (no reference sorry) which
suggested that the most invisible setup was a big white bike with the
rider in flourescent clothing (ie local plod). Don't know what came of
it
though so I could just (once again) be talking shee-ite.

I think you are. Or the 'study' was flawed.

It is related to contrast - we recognise contrasting objects quicker than
any specific colour of object. The problem with big white bike and bright
yellow jacket is the lack of contrast. A contrasting colour scheme
(including the high vis yellow) is far more likely to be noticed (or
noticed quicker).

It was a Rospa intructor who first shocked me with that tidbit many years
ago.

It's been shown more than once that the way to make yourself most visible on
a motorbike is to look like plod. The stuff you mention about contrast etc
doesn't actually make any odds.

cheers,
clive