Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Wasp nest

"somebody" wrote in message

I used to be a licensed DVLA instructor - taking the mere mortals out on
their 50's / 125's and issuing their CBT's, or training them up for their
full test.

I think the "what can and does happen when you fall off" talk was the
scariest for all of them. The statistic of losing 1mm of skin and bone for
every 10 mph of speed when sliding down the road was the clincher. "Look
at your own knuckles" I used to say "and work out if 30 mph is sustainable
for you". "1mm just for sliding, now add in the impact factor" (this all
being part of the talk to encourage them to wear "proper" protection
whilst riding).

Yes - but I can't work in the kitchen with bikers' gloves and I've sustained
that kind of damage there. Yes, it's always been through carelessness - just
as coming off a bike is.

Spouse and I never needed the CBT but we've known others who've done it and
we've been impressed with the instructors.

Saying that of course, the bike is still the best way to go. Fun, fast,
danger, mortality, injury, yes all of them, but I still prefer the bike.

Well, there you go.

I still don't like it :-) But I don't want speed, danger, risk of mortality
of injury and don't find it fun in any way. That's just me though, if others
enjoy it I'm not condemning them - as long as there's no danger to me. As
far as I know pedestrians are safer when bikes are around than with cars.

Incidentally, their was a study some time ago (no reference sorry) which
suggested that the most invisible setup was a big white bike with the
rider in flourescent clothing (ie local plod). Don't know what came of it
though so I could just (once again) be talking shee-ite.

I think you are. Or the 'study' was flawed.

Mary